Hyland Screw Machine Products first started in 1928 in the basement of Forest Hyland's home in Belmont, Ohio. Mr. Hyland had a great desire to form his own business; he was determined to make it succeed and grow in spite of the obstacles he faced over the years.
He bought his first screw machine with $50. He worked at Delco during the day and ran his machine at night. In 1932, orders began to pick up, so he was able to quit his full-time job and set up shop in the Maxwell Power Building. He hired his first employee, Max Melbaur.
Hyland grew to 15 employees and brought in just as many government contracts. Because Hyland was undercapitalized, bringing in cash flow was a problem. At one point, Mr. Hyland had orders, but no money to buy the raw materials; banks wouldn't loan him money during the Depression, so he had to convince his customers to pay in advance.
Hyland made a wide variety of aircraft parts. Forest traveled the nation, taking orders from all major aircraft companies.
In 1937, Hyland upgraded to a 4,000 sq. ft. 2-story building on Potomac Street in Dayton.
As war approached, production increased and the company managed to employ 100 people. They needed more space for everyone, so in 1940, they tore down a house in front of their building and expanded to 8,000 sq. ft.
After the war, aircraft part contracts were terminated; business took a nose dive. Hyland could only support 3 employees, including an office assistant. Mr. Hyland developed a heart condition, and his chief assistant died.
Forest E. "Dute" Hyland, Sr., Mr. Hyland's son, stepped up and assumed managerial responsibility for the firm. He steered sales efforts to the commercial screw machine products field and managed to make a post-war breakthrough.
Inland Manufacturing placed a series of high-volume orders with the firm, leading the way for other customers to join: IBM, Northwestern Tool, V.R. Wesson, and other large businesses began to work with Hyland.
After a series of heart attacks, Forest Hyland died in 1953 at the age of 53.
In 1963, the firm bought 2.8 acres on Kuntz Road in north Dayton. They build a 27,000 sq. ft. building that they expanded by an additional 12,000 sq. ft. in 1969. Today, the facility is 42,000 sq. ft.
Forest E. Hyland, Sr. died in 1983. He was succeeded by his son, Forest E. "Dutie" Hyland, Jr., who now serves as President of the company. Dutie's son, F. Dan Hyland, is the Vice President, and Brian Hyland handles Sales / Supply Chain, representing our 4th generation.
We are big enough to handle any size production needs, but small enough to respond to your request personally and promptly. We're not owned by a large holding company, it's just us here.
We Are Very Responsive! Give Us a Call Today!